Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sarah

It's been about a week since I have last posted and much has happened. I was preparing to do a post reviewing the town and eateries of St. Joseph, Michigan due to my recent vacationing there. I was also preparing to post about the various cuts, styles, and modern wearability of an all black outfit with splashes of color. I was preparing to post a scone recipe. This week was going to be laden with some good posts, until yesterday morning.

Whenever you get a phone call, email or text starting with, "Did you hear about..." it's almost guaranteed to never be good news. That's exactly how I found out about Sarah.

A mere 25 years old with a heart of gold, brilliant mathematical mind, and laughter that could be heard for miles, Sarah certainly left an imprint on whomever she met. She was always bubbling over with contagious energy that you couldn't help but get a smile when she was around. Even if you had only crossed paths once, you remembered her.

It was certainly a pleasure living on the same floor as Sarah, especially when I was absolutely miserable everyday due to my pregnancy. She would always check in on me, make sure I was doing okay or if I needed anything. When the university so lovingly kicked me off campus because I was a "liability", Sarah ensured my presence was more than welcome on the floor as I carefully walked the line between life and death every day. She was always there to help and support those around her.

Despite her medical condition, Sarah never let it get in her way. She was athletic. She was active. She was, most importantly, infectiously joyous. She was comfortable with herself - her uber-energy, her nerdiness, her love for running, her compassion for others - it all totaled up to a fantastic person.

All she wanted to do was teach Math. I'm so very glad she got the opportunity to do so before she was taken so early. We've all had those teachers who had a spark, who loved their subject matter with an undying passion that once you stepped in to their classroom somehow, in someway, you ended up loving it too. Although I've never been in her classroom, I can guarantee she was one of those teachers that turned students' fear in to appreciation. There are so many students that are going to miss out on that opportunity. There are so many parents that will miss out on knowing a teacher that will truly influence their children. There are so many people that are going to miss out on her laughter. She will be missed. Tremendously.

Impressions
by Ryan Jennings
A lifetime can be likened to a lonely beach of sand.
a stranger makes a mark one day, an imprint of a hand.
As time goes by the beach once clear is now a cluttered field
of memories and keep-sakes of the ones that we hold dear.
Time does its best to wash away remembrances of those -
the ones we never meant to meet - the ones we never chose.
But as through some odd twist of fate these are the ones we cherish.
The time we spend with these such friends, will never, ever perish.

Sarah Renee Walker, March 9, 1986- July 25, 2011

1 comment: